[Novalug] Converting raw partition system to LVM?

D. Frye dafr@dafr.us
Fri Feb 2 15:21:16 EST 2007

D. Frye wrote:

> Brandon Saxe wrote:
>
>> what version of debian/grub are you using?
>

> Debian testing, 2.6.15-1-686 kernel, with grub 0.97-19. The system is
> running udevd, so the chroot is having issues without the /dev
> filesystem being populated. Time hasn't permitted me to look at this to
> correct the problem manually or look at Google for the answer.
>
> df

Alright, to follow up on my previous post, I have now managed to update
the initrd image with 'update-initramfs' and get the boot to get farther
beyond now, but it's still not perfect. What I get now is:

Begin: Mounting root file system... ...
Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
device-mapper: 4.4.0-ioctl (2005-01-12) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
Done.
Begin: Waiting for root file system... ...
Done.
         Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
         or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
         ALERT! /dev/vg/root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Once I have the shell, if I run '/scripts/local-top/lvm' and follow that
with a 'vgchange -ay', I can then exit the shell and have the system
boot up the rest of the way. So, now I'm left looking for a reason that
the vgscan equivalent isn't being executed by this lvm script. It seems
that the initrd isn't even trying to execute the script, and I'm stumped
on why. Google hasn't been of much help either.

df