[Novalug] how to specify virtual hosts with apache2

Gopher gopher@3wa.org
Mon Dec 31 23:05:31 EST 2007

Nino Pereira wrote:
> The directory 'sites-enabled' would then have one file like this
> for 'ecopulse.com', another one for a second web site 'foo.com', etc.
>
> Your comments are very welcome. I looked at the www.apache2.com web site
> for information, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand what
> it's trying to tell me.
>
> Thank you,
You are correct.  Copy the 000-default file to 'ecopulse.com' and change
accordingly, and continue as needed for all other sites you need as
Virtual Hosts on the same IPs. Then restart your apache2 server and
watch your apache error log for issues.

BTW, the directory layout you are looking at is an Ubuntu thing, not an
Apache thing.  IMHO Ubuntu (Debian?) made this configurable but rather
confusing and overly complicated.  Personally, I just set up an entire
different set of directories
(/data/servers/www.foo.com/[bin|config|logs|pages|etc....]) and create
all new config files without any Includes.  And finally I create new
start up scripts under /etc/rc2.d and disable the default start scripts.
  I think it just makes it all much easier.

thx
Gopher.