[Novalug] 3 questions regarding sound

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Mon Dec 31 14:42:45 EST 2007

Jay Hart wrote:
> Q1:  What sound card(s) would people recommend for Linux?

Stick to one of the big names. Can you actually get a MB that doesnt
have a built on soundcard these days? If you are adding one, the
SoundBlaster line is your best bet.

> Q2: Is there a way to capture streaming audio?

Yes. How depends on the stream (network vs analog audio in).

> Q3: Do codecs/converters exist for changing .wav or other Windows based
> formats to Ogg Vorbis? MP3s??

Many many many ways to do that. As long as you aren't talking DRM files,
its simple. DRM may or may not make things more complicated, I am not
familiar enough with it to answer anything about it.

Nick