[Novalug] CentOS, Fedora, and rpms

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Sat Dec 29 15:42:31 EST 2007

 	Last time I tried CentOS, I didn't like it at all -- too
many of my favorite and most-used apps just weren't there. And I
didn't see how to add them in.

 	But now Fedora is getting way out in front of me -- not
just that things like jigdo took far more sophistication than
I've got, but that most of the people answering questions were
doing me and others no good at all, because they were also
presuming so much.

 	What's more, some of them sound not only impatient but
downright unfriendly about anybody but other hotshots having
the effrontery to install *their* OS. It's becoming a den of
elitists; what ever happened to world domination? ;-)

 	I don't need that; neither do I want to run CentOS out of
the box. Most of the things it lacks do offer rpms -- just not
CentOS rpms.

 	Is there a rule of thumb, or a page of explanations,
somewhere? Something that lets a guy caught in the middle roll
his own compromise? I want Dillo, and Pan, Brasero and K3B,
Galeon and Epiphany, Privoxy, xscreensaver, pirut, Alpine, Opera,
and on and on -- things I use constantly.

--
Beartooth Paganus, Staffwright, Sciurivore
What do they know of country, who only country know?