VIQ Kate (was Re: [Novalug] Printing question)

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Fri Dec 21 12:02:36 EST 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, DonJr wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:10 -0800, Beartooth wrote:
>>  	But compiz worries me. I installed some new glitzy thing
>> recently, which eventually turned out to be the source of
>> conflicts that made the machine unusable. Discussion on Gmane
>> eventually established that "metacity --replace" fixed it --
>> and thereby identified the culprit, which turned out to be a
>> window manager. (I had supposed, from pirut's description,
>> that it was just some amusing or possibly useful eye candy.)
>> I'm not sure any more it was compiz -- is that related to
>> beryl and emerald?
>
> For information on compiz goto: <http://compiz.org/> (Google is
> your friend, I searched on: compiz to find the site.)

 	Yup; been there, done that, it's the culprit, all right;
screwed me over royally. I thought so.

> In other words(IOW) it adds pretty graphics features to the KDE
> desktop. Do you need it installed in order to install 'kate',
> most likely NOT. But it is part of Fedora Core's KDE related
> group.

 	A great toy for all you hotshots and Alpha Plus
Technoids, running humongous machines at ninety parsecs per
hour, no doubt at all; I've seen the animations (and
disliked them; I'd turn that stuff off if I did run it).

> Now on my Ubuntu based system I could do:
>  sudo apt-get install kate
>
> and that would install kate and only it's required packages.

 	I'd've thought yum or pirut either one would do the same;
but yum didn't even find it; I disremember, but I *think* I also
tried pirut's search, or its alphabetical list, or both.
(Incidentally, the same was true of Konqueror a couple years
back; if you didn't already know what provided it, you had to
keep stumbling around -- and shovelling cruft onto your drive --
till you hit it.) The German poet Stefan George had a phrase for
it in the Twenties : Stacheldraht wider Unberufene, barbed wire
against those not called.

> Of course the list of "required" packages looks like this:
>
> Package: kate
[...]
> Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.2),
>         libacl1 (>= 2.2.11-1),
>         libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16),
>         libattr1 (>= 2.4.4-1),
> [.... etc., etc.]

> And of course some of those packages are going to require other
> packages.

 	Of course. But at least I see neither konversation nor
compiz in that list.

 	In fact, "yum remove konversation" worked fine, and took
nothing else whatever. "Yum remove compiz" says it will take
compiz-kde and compiz-manager -- only. I told it to -- and "kate
&" seemed to launch normally.

 	But what is this stuff??

[btth@topblack ~]$ kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
QFile::open: No file name specified

 	And why doesn't it give me my prompt back, long after I
hit Quit on Kate? Only after I hit ^C did I get the other shoe :

[1]+  Done                    kate
[btth@topblack ~]$

 	Of course I can try googling and the man pages for stuff
like kybuildsycoa, ksycoa, and QFile -- but it's dollars to
doughnuts the results will be as impenetrable as the likes of
"man rpm," which seems to require at least two advanced degrees
in CS just to read ...

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck Double Retiree,
Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User, with precious