VIQ Kate (was Re: [Novalug] Printing question)

DonJr djr1952@hotpop.com
Fri Dec 21 06:13:41 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 09:10 -0800, Beartooth wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Megan Larko wrote:
> > DonJr wrote:
> >> * mcedit
> >>
> >> If you want to use Kate you might as well install KDE:
> >> Code, so try:
> >>    yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"
>
>  	That found 23 already installed and latest; updated four;
> installed compiz-kde, konversation, kpowersave, and ktorrent; and
> also installed compiz-manager and libcompizconfig for
> dependencies. I presume all three kates are in some of those.
>
>  	I never touch any form of chat, and normally make sure
> none is installed, on the perhaps outdated theory that it just
> means needless potential vulnerability. Paranoia? Or can I at
> least remove konversation?
>
>  	I don't care much about kpowersave and ktorrent --
> they're superfluous and I'd rather eschew them, but I suppose
> they can just sit there harmlessly.
>
>  	But compiz worries me. I installed some new glitzy thing
> recently, which eventually turned out to be the source of
> conflicts that made the machine unusable. Discussion on Gmane
> eventually established that "metacity --replace" fixed it -- and
> thereby identified the culprit, which turned out to be a window
> manager. (I had supposed, from pirut's description, that it was
> just some amusing or possibly useful eye candy.) I'm not sure any
> more it was compiz -- is that related to beryl and emerald?

For information on compiz goto: <http://compiz.org/>
 (Google is your friend, I searched on: compiz to find the site.)

The following is from the above site:

> What is Compiz?
> Compiz is a compositing window manager that uses 3D graphics
> acceleration via OpenGL. It provides various new graphical effects and
> features on any desktop environment, including Gnome and KDE.
>
>       * Window management has never looked so enticing: Through OpenGL
>         accelerated compositing, Compiz provides tons of new visual
>         effects. It's also flexible enough so you could easily add
>         more through a plugin system.
>       * Compiz is compatible: Any X Window System based desktop
>         environment, including (but not limited to) Gnome and KDE, is
>         supported.
> Features
>       * Easily extendible through plugins.
>       * A growing, friendly community of users.
>       * Increases productivity and enjoyment.
>       * Impress your family and friends.
>       * Compiz is actively developed.
> Documentation
>       * Documentation Central
>       * Building from source

In other words(IOW) it adds pretty graphics features to the KDE desktop.
Do you need it installed in order to install 'kate', most likely NOT.
But it is part of Fedora Core's KDE related group.

Now on my Ubuntu based system I could do:
  sudo apt-get install kate

and that would install kate and only it's required packages.
Of course the list of "required" packages looks like this:

Package: kate
Section: editors
Installed-Size: 2164
Maintainer: Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: kdebase
Version: 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu27.2
Replaces: kdebase-doc (<< 4:3.0.0)
Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.2),
         libacl1 (>= 2.2.11-1),
         libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16),
         libattr1 (>= 2.4.4-1),
         libaudio2,
         libc6 (>= 2.3.4-1),
         libfontconfig1 (>= 2.3.0),
         libfreetype6 (>= 2.1.10-1),
         libgamin0,
         libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0.2),
         libice6,
         libidn11 (>= 0.5.18),
         libjpeg62,
         libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.8rel),
         libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.6),
         libsm6,
         libstdc++6 (>= 4.0.2-4),
         libx11-6,
         libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2),
         libxext6,
         libxft2 (>> 2.1.1),
         libxi6,
         libxinerama1,
         libxrandr2,
         libxrender1,
         libxt6,
         zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1)
Recommends: kregexpeditor

And of course some of those packages are going to require other
packages.

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
I do desire we may be better strangers.
  -- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"