[Novalug] Printing question

DonJr djr1952@hotpop.com
Wed Dec 19 04:58:17 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-08 at 00:58 -0500, Ellis Pierce wrote:
> On Friday 07 December 2007 23:40, Dan Arico wrote:
> > On Friday 07 December 2007 23:14, Charles M Howe wrote:
> > > List,
> > >
> > > I have a text file, (created using vi) of considerable length to print.
> > > It consists mainly of single lines  but sometimes (a few times a page)
> > > there are two lines of text. Then there is a blank line.
> > >
> > > The inelegant way of printing it is to insert a new page (control-L)
> > > after 60 (or 59, or even 58)lines of text, then a few blank lines. But
> > > that gets tedious. Can anyone suggest a better way of doing it?
> > >
> > > Charlie
> >
> > What's wrong with opening it in Open Office as a text file and printing
> > from that?
>
> Why use Open Office (unless it is already open)?  Open it in Kate, and it will
> print 55 lines per page, with a header showing the date, file name, and page
> number.  Fast opening, and no extra formatting steps.
>
> Ellis Pierce

But in order to run kate, you would first have to have it installed and
for us NON kde users that also means installing a bunch of kde only
related libs also.

When instead you get the same effect with:
  lpr -p yourfile.txt

If you just want the pageneted output to a scrollable display then try:
   pr yourfile.txt | less

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
To be or not to be.  -- Shakespeare