[Novalug] thinkpad terminal emulation

DonJr djr1952@hotpop.com
Thu Dec 13 01:51:23 EST 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 00:34 -0500, Julia Christianson wrote:
> The other problem I'm having -- and this was true with CentOS, Fedora,
> and Kubuntu -- is that using the cursor keys in vi in insert mode,

Why are you even touching anything but the "standard terminal keys"
while using vi? <GRIN>

> instead of the expected action I'm getting the character that follows
> the openbracket-escape sequence -- A for up, B for down, and like
> that, each on its own separate line.  All kde, using Konsole, with the
> keyboard set for XTerm (XFree 4.x.x), though I tried it with 'linux
> console' and got the same behavior.

You where lucky that you got the same {apparently none destructive}
behavior each time.

And since you got a defined behavior then maybe with only a minor
adjustment to the terminfo file are by adding a simple vi macro is all
that's needed to get some useful results.

  Are you could just use a more feature rich editor like maybe
notepad<sGRIN>.

>   [It's a little unnerving to see
> VT100 in that list labeled "historical" though I guess it's better
> than "antediluvian".]
>
> Help?
>
> -- Julia

What do you mean by "VT100 in that list labeled "historical" "?

  The VT100 was a video terminal made by Digital Equipment Corporation
(DEC) which became the de facto standard used by terminal emulators.

See: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VT100> for more information.

   -- DonJr .... .. .