[Novalug] DCHP server on different subnet from default gw

Jean Figarella jeanfiga@gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 00:26:04 EST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 4:12 PM, <luigi12081@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm typing this from my nifty eee pc.
>
> This is a great device, except that It's a bit of a crapshoot as to
> whether I can connect to my university's wireless network.
>
> When things work, they work flawlessly:  DHCLIENT is able to get DHCPOFFER
> from a DHCP server, and the router then automatically sets the default
> gateway.
>
> But when they don't work, they're perplexing.  DHCLIENT succeeds, but
> immediately after I get DCHPACK  and my IP from the DHCP server, I end up
> with
> SIOCADDRT:  Network Unavailable
>
> messages.
>
> >From what I can tell, the default gw is on a different subnet from at
> least one DHCP server.   The network admins at school have confirmed this
> suspicion.
>
> We run a no-fixed-IPs-to-students network, so my plea for a fixed IP was
> rejected.  The techs reported that there was a similar problem with older
> versions of Apple OSX, but somehow it was no longer a problem for Apple.
>
> Any ideas on how to overcome this?  It goes without saying that my
> classmates on Windows and Apple have experienced no similar problems.
>
> -Luigi

Is the nic module being loaded? If you type lspci when you get the error,
does the hardware gets detected and the module loaded? It might just be a
bad nic. Or maybe conflicting modules.