[Novalug] FC6/Fan Speed

Kevin Kitts kevin.kitts@gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 11:13:04 EDT 2007

Hi All,
  I have an nForce3 250 based AMD 3700 system running FC6. I'm using this
for a MythTV setup - but it is just a little bit louder than I'd like. There
is a video capture card and an nVidia 6200 LE graphics card in the machine -
but *both* of those cards do not have fans - they have heat sinks only.

In the BIOS of the machine there are various options for setting the fan
speed. One option that looked promising initially was to maintain the CPU
temp below a certain value - but I've experimented with that - and the
machine just seems to go bonkers. The fan speed gradually increases and the
machine eventually locks up. It is really weird behavior - because at one
point I just stayed in the BIOS and watched and the CPU temp was not going
up - I think that there is some kind of bug in the temp control algorithm.

Another option in the BIOS was to just set the fan at 0, 25%, 50% - and I
think the last option was "FULL". At 50% the machine is relatively loud -
but it will run 24/7 for weeks at a time with no problem. At 25% the machine
is dead quiet but the CPU temp gradually climbs to unsafe levels (I think
that I did lock the machine up once as the CPU temp climbed bast 70 degrees
C).

Is there some way to set the fan speed at a fixed speed - either % of max -
or even a fixed rpm? In the windows world there's a neat little program
called "SpeedFan" that you can use to do this - very useful.

Thanks,

Kevin