[Novalug] Inexpensive NAS devices

Sh33p sh33p@blisteringsheep.com
Wed Aug 29 18:13:53 EDT 2007

My initial plans are to use it just to store mp3s and
ISO images.  And right now I'd say that performance
isn't terribly important.  Of course, as soon as I
start moving everything onto it I'll bitch about how
slow it is. :)  There are really two reasons I'm
considering the NAS solution:
1. They seem cool.
2. The current fileserver is getting long in the
tooth.

The box I'm currently using has a point-to-point
dual-bonded GigE to serve NFS to the only box that
uses the store heavily.  Everything else is over
100BaseT, and it's low rate/infrequent.

Rundown on the current server:
ASUS K7V with 1.0 GHz Slot-A Athlon
1.5 Gigs memory
1 free P-ATA port
LSI scsi board (driver sym53c8xx)
Tulip-based 100BaseT ethernet
two e1000 boards

I said before that it wasn't USB-2.0, but that may be
wrong.  If it turns out to have that, I'll probably
just get an external USB drive.

I guess I'm kinda trying to (get you all to) figure
out if some fancy new device is what I really need, or
if I just need to get some more external drives and
hang off of it.  Has anyone had any real good (or bad)
experiences with the current crop of inexpensive NAS
devices?

Ed