[Novalug] Inexpensive NAS devices

Ken Kauffman kkauffman@headfog.com
Wed Aug 29 17:31:49 EDT 2007

This was just released not too long ago.  Has gigabit as well.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=509

-----Original Message-----
From: novalug-bounces@calypso.tux.org
[mailto:novalug-bounces@calypso.tux.org] On Behalf Of Sh33p
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:00 PM
To: novalug@calypso.tux.org
Subject: [Novalug] Inexpensive NAS devices

I need to expand the storage available on my home
network (several Linux boxes, couple of WinXP boxes, 1
Mac OS/X and 1 Solaris box).  Right now I'm using an
external (small and full) SCSI disk attached to a
Linux box that is exported via Samba and NFS, plus
some internal IDE drives.  This box doesn't have
USB-2.0.

All of the consumer grade NAS devices are interesting.
 Anyone care to share their
experiences/recommendations?  My ideal appliance would
have GigE.  All I really need is SMB and NFS.  FTP
would be nice once in a while, but not really
necessary.  I'm ambivalent about RAID ability.

Thanks!
Ed