[Novalug] Video card question

Megan Larko larkoc@iges.org
Sat Aug 25 13:02:53 EDT 2007

Ed James wrote:

Hello Ed and LUG,
> Megan,
>
>    What size PSU does the Dell have, and do you have any way (like
> using  a "Kill-a-watt" meter) to measure how much power the DELL is
> using without the vid card?  Next question, of course, is how much
> power the vid card itself uses.
>
>    Is this a card which gets power straight from the PCI slot, or
> does it have its own 4-pin power socket?

Good suggestion.  I'm at home now (Sat.), but I will look at that
immediately on Monday.   I don't think the PSU is particularly big; it's
an old middle-of-Dell-line box.

The ATI Technologies Radeon video card uses only the power it gets via
the standard PCI slot (the box is assuming the standard is 3.3 volt
PCI.  The Radeon box does indeed recommend a PSU of 250 Watt or greater.

I'll check Monday.

Thanks,
megan