[Novalug] Computer died after power failure

rosejw@cox.net rosejw@cox.net
Fri Aug 24 18:56:24 EDT 2007

I have a relatively new computer that seems to have die the other day after a power failure.   After doing some preliminary look I figured that maybe the power failure burnt out the power supply.   So I got a new power supply(corsair hx620w) and installed it, yet computer still "seems" dead.

I say "seems" because the mother board does seem to work, all the fans in the system power up and spin, the DVD and cdrom drive doors open and close, but  the heard seem to spin up, yet I get no power to the keyboard(ps2) or mouse(usb) and nothing on the monitor.   There are no beeps or anything from motherboard(asus a8n-sli) and the cpu fan spins.  I'm at a loss on where to even look now.

I removed the sound card and tried again, no change.  I removed the video card and sound card, but no change.  I removed the cdrom and dvd drives, no change.

It looks to me that the motherboard itself got damaged, but I don't know for sure.

Any help I can get to try and find out what the real problem is, I would appreciate it.    This machine is not more than 2 years old.

-Jonathan