[Novalug] Uhhuh. NMI received junk is spreading.

Ed James edjames@greenbelt.com
Mon Aug 20 16:11:28 EDT 2007

Bleh,

    Not long ago, somebody (forgot who) reported weird messages, but
not any resolution, similar to those a few lines down here..  I did
research the errors out of curiosity, but never found a real answer.
Now it's my turn to get them:

    Message from syslogd@doc at Mon Aug 20 15:15:09 2007 ...

    doc kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
    doc kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 3d on CPU 0.
    doc kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

I actually found the code that generates the above text, but have
no clue what CALLS that code, so I can't really trace it back.  Yet.

So far, they seem to be generated when I'm watching YouTube vids.  So,
question for the group is, has anyone else had weird messages while
watching said vids?  I'm not seeing any other problems on my system,
other than weird messages.  Nothing else seems broken.

However, earlier today, a YouTube vid started to act like an old
vinyl record with a scratch - kept repeating a short segment over
and over.  WAY weird for a digital thing.  Machine was otherwise
locked up, so I had to power off/on to reboot.  Upon reboot, sound
wasn't working, but I was able (this time) to shut down, reboot
gracefully and sound was working again.  Then the NMI junk started
periodically.

Question for the group is: Has anyone else had problems with their
machines while watching YouTube vids?

Ed James