[Novalug] OT - Wikipedia and the art of censorship

Kat Walsh kat@mindspillage.org
Sun Aug 19 19:43:46 EDT 2007

On 8/19/07, Dan Arico <dan_arico@aricosystems.com> wrote:

> Now imagine Wikipedia with DRM. Whoever controls the DRM gets to rewrite
> history as he pleases.
>
> There's one open source project that is desperately needed because of
> this problem - open source text books.
>
> Dan Arico

Kind of like http://en.wikibooks.org? :-)

There are several other projects for open textbooks, actually, but
Wikibooks is actually run by the Wikimedia Foundation -- Commonwealth
of Learning and WikiEducator have more links to open-content and
free-content learning materials.

None of them have as much public attention and effort behind them as
they should, though. Also, it's a lot easier to write an encyclopedia
entry than a textbook.

(and for full disclosure myself, I'm on the WMF board.)

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising