[Novalug] small home based switches/routers

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Thu Aug 16 14:57:37 EDT 2007

> Jay Hart wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> For what it's worth I've tried the NSLU2 and ultimately was
>>> not happy with it.  But I'm willing to answer any questions
>>> I can about it.  I think one of the "routers" that take
>>> the openwrt or the other os whose names escapes me right now
>>> would be a better option.  Would the apcupsd be networked or
>>> are you looking for something with a USB/serial port?
>>>

>> Ahhh, you asked the right question.  The switch or router device I am
>> looking
>> for would have a either a USB or serial port for interfaceing with the UPS.
>> That way you could have it be the APCUPSD server for shutting down all other
>> computers.  dd-wrt wouldn't work. Not sure about operwrt, but the device
>> can't
>> have a firmware image, IMHO, it needs a little more flexibility.
>>
>> Maybe I should see what DamnSmallLinux runs on?
>>
>> Jay
>>
>>> Matt
>
> Asus WL-500G and the Asus WL-500G deluxe seem to support usb, and
> openwrt seems to support it using ipkg.
> (http://wiki.openwrt.org/UsbStorageHowto talks about usb storage
> so it's a start)  So it seems possible to do it through openwrt,
> and it even seems as if people have done it before
> (https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/2157 references apcupsd in packaged
> form already.)  It seems like it could work, but further research
> is probably needed.  What's the issue with firmware images?  Is it
> something external storage would fix?
>
> Matt

Thanks Matt, I'll look into this.

Since apcupsd is a "package" if you had a device that was firmware image
based.(ie could only provide capability built into the firmware), it would be
hard to add the files necessary to run apcupsd.

Jay