[Novalug] small home based switches/routers

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Thu Aug 16 14:25:57 EDT 2007

<snip>

>> TIA,
>>
>> Jay Hart
>>
> For what it's worth I've tried the NSLU2 and ultimately was
> not happy with it.  But I'm willing to answer any questions
> I can about it.  I think one of the "routers" that take
> the openwrt or the other os whose names escapes me right now
> would be a better option.  Would the apcupsd be networked or
> are you looking for something with a USB/serial port?

Ahhh, you asked the right question.  The switch or router device I am looking
for would have a either a USB or serial port for interfaceing with the UPS.
That way you could have it be the APCUPSD server for shutting down all other
computers.  dd-wrt wouldn't work. Not sure about operwrt, but the device can't
have a firmware image, IMHO, it needs a little more flexibility.

Maybe I should see what DamnSmallLinux runs on?

Jay