[Novalug] Making a bootable USB Pendrive

DonJr djr1952@hotpop.com
Wed Aug 15 18:53:12 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 10:37 -0400, Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
> Here is a link with discussion on removing U3 application tool"kSht
>
> http://www.geekyjock.com/pages/blog/2006/05/remove-u3-software-from-your-usb-flash.html
>
> This link has a discussion on the U3
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=410539
>
> have not tried the removal but you may need wine to run it as it appears
> to be a windoze program

Removal of the U3 application tool"kSht from a drive under Linux is easy:
 First save a copy of the "worm" and any data for later study
  # dd if=/dev/sdX of=U3Worm bs=512
          {note: sdX is the SCSI device that points to the pen. }

 #  fdisk -l /dev/sdX  >  device.layout
    # handy in case you want/need that info later

 #  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX  bs=512 count=4032
                                         { /\ that for the 2G device }

It's totally BLANK now.
Now lets put a file system back on it.
There are a number of ways and layouts. One such is:

sfdisk /dev/sdX <EOF
# partition table of /dev/sdX
unit: sectors

/dev/sdX : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
/dev/sdX : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
/dev/sdX : start=        0, size=        0, Id= 0
/dev/sdX : start=       62, size=  4011586, Id= 6, bootable
EOF

sync
sync

# Now format the file system:
mkfs.msdos /dev/sdX4

And the U3 Application/worm is gone from the device.

The problem system to un-install/disinfect is a system running M$-XP
which has had a NON-blanked U3-pen-device attached to it and the
operator mistakenly allowed the U3-Application-worm to install itself.
For until it is disinfected it will Install/re-install the
U3-Application-worm onto any USB-disk-like device that is attached to
the system, including some camera drives.
  {This later stage is why I call it a WORM and not an Application.}

 Don E. Groves, Jr.

$ /usr/games/fortune :
You are a fluke of the universe; you have no right to be here.