[Novalug] "Replaying terminal sessions with scriptreplay"

Doug Toppin dougtoppin@gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 12:15:03 EDT 2007

I use the 'script' command to capture text sessions that I'm doing
remotely (for example collecting stats from a remote process).  I
stumbled across an interesting article on how script can also be used
to collect timing info on the inputs/outputs it collected and then
'scriptreplay' can be used to "replay the session".  I just tried this
with various commands (including a vi edit session) and it worked like
a champ.  I've found that giving presentations (such as to NOVALUG)
can be somewhat more reliable/instructional when I play a desktop
movie I captured rather than trying to do a demo of the app in real
time (and require way less setup/hardware) and it allows the entire
presentation to be archived.  Using scriptreplay would extend this as
well for shell activities.

More info at:
http://www.linuxinsight.com/replaying-terminal-sessions-with-scriptreplay.html

In a nutshell:
$ script -t 2> demo.timing -a demo.session
stuff...stuff...stuff
$ exit
$ scriptreplay demo.timing demo.session

As usual, no matter how many years I've been using Linux/Unix, there's
always more neat basic stuff out there to stumble on.  I just have to
remember to look every now and then.

Has anyone else been using script/scriptreplay for neat stuff?

Doug