[Novalug] Case Fan Questions

Kevin Kitts kevin.kitts@gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 12:39:24 EDT 2007

This is a somewhat related question... I have a computer that worked great
until recently. It is an AMD "Athlon" based computer. Recently, it runs
perfectly for an hour or so and then it "blinks off". I mean, it doesn't
just crash - it instantly powers down. I'm thinking that this may be a CPU
safety feature that shows it is overheating. I opened the case - and there
was dust so thick you could scoop it out with your hand. There was also dust
caked onto the CPU heat sink. I took some time, and gently wiped the case
clean and used a small handheld fan to blow the remaing dust out of the
case. It seems to be running OK now - though the "Speedfan" program still
thinks it is running a little hot.

My understanding of case fans is that they should suck air in the front and
blow the air out the back. This case has two fans on the back (power supply
and back of case) and a fan on the CPU/heat sink - but there is no fan on
the front. Also, the front seems to be mostly blocked and it does not seem
like installation of a fan would result in good air inflow. I've temporarily
taken off one of the 5 1/4" CD drive doors (the bottom 4 CD drive bay doors
are unused). Would it be possible add a fan to one of these drive bay door?
Crazy idea?

Thanks,

Kevin