[Novalug] phones in bogus names

John Franklin franklin@elfie.org
Fri Aug 3 17:07:28 EDT 2007

Quoting Tux subscriber Dave Aronson <tux2dave@davearonson.com>:

> Ed James [mailto:edjames@greenbelt.com] writes:
>
>  >     Actually, my service is in a bogus name anyway.  When I got married
>  > decades ago, I had never had a phone in my name, so the PhoneCo wanted
>  > to charge me a deposit. My wife HAD had a phone in HER name, so we got
>  > a phone with no deposit by using her name.  I'm divorced, she's
>  > remarried, and that name is different now.  But the PhoneCo gets a
>  > check each month, so it's happy.
>
> I've had phone service in a name that never existed.  Back when I
> ran a BBS, named (originally) TIDMADT, I asked the telco for a line
> for my roomie, BB Tidmadt.  So, the white pages listed "TIDMADT, BB".

Odd that this story would come up twice in one day.  A friend of mine
in NC wanted an unlisted number.  To get a number unlisted cost some
token amount, but you could change the listed name for free.
Typically, the "name change" would be "Smith, J" instead of "Smith,
John," but there were no rules on the names.  So, he decided to change
the name to get an effectively unlisted number to "Dirtbag, M."

jf