[Novalug] Over the Top

Angelo Bertolli angelo@freeshell.org
Thu Aug 2 17:01:16 EDT 2007

Keith Casey wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Bonnie Dalzell <bdalzell@qis.net> wrote:
>
>> They were quite large yellow and with black print. I noticed them in part
>> because I had not seen anything like that before in a theater.
>>

> I catch a movie at Ballston about once/year and I don't think they're
> all that new.
>
> I'm getting a kick out of the response on Slashdot...
>
> If people get ticked at organizations who take GPL software, close and
> distribute it because it's against the license, how can they give this
> girl a pass?  Part of the agreement in her watching the movie was that
> she wouldn't record it.  She broke the terms of the agreement and is
> suffering as a result.  I have no pity for her there simply out of
> principle.
>
> The punishment is a separate matter and looks excessive.  I think they
> should have taken the tape and kicked her out.  And I don't think it'd
> be unreasonable to ban her from the movie theater for a while.  Back
> in junior high, I had a pair of buddies arrested for shoplifting and
> they were banned from the premises.
Exactly.  Instead of getting a rational and reasonable consideration for
this all we get is an overreaction by the authorities, with an equally
disturbing overreaction in the other direction against the initial
reaction.  It seems everything just gets polarized in the media  now.

Angelo

--
http://bitfreedom.com/