[Novalug] iPhone data bills - OMG!!!

Wed Aug 1 17:38:28 EDT 2007

On 8/1/07, Ken Kauffman <kkauffman@headfog.com> wrote:
> Wasn't this the whole point of XHTML/XML/CSS/XSLT?  Pump out the raw
> content (lightweight) and do layout and graphic elements using CSS.  You
> detect the client headers and switch css based on browser.  (If you decide
> to spoof browser headers then it's your own problem when layouts don't
> work.)

That would be true if there weren't eleventy-billion different mobile
browsers each with slightly different capabilities and different
renderers.  In addition, most of the browsers can't handle xslt
directly, most can't handle js, and a few have css issues, so it's
down to simple xhtml, css, and some images.

And as far as I can tell, most of the people providing content the
"right" way are relatively recent entrants to the web.  Many of the
older organizations and early entrants are still heavily table-based
using font tags.  I won't name names here.  ;)

kc

--
D. Keith Casey Jr.
CEO, CaseySoftware, LLC