[Novalug] Tux.Org, Inc. Annual Elections - Call for Candidates

Pete Nuwayser nuwayser@gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:07:33 EST 2006

On 11/29/06, Alan McConnell <alan@patriot.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 11:03:05PM -0500, Pete Nuwayser wrote:
> >

>         . . . <snip>
>
> > Voting will be conducted at the area LUG meetings in February, and the
> > results will be announced in March.
>         Why only at the meetings?  we have membership that is wide-spread,
>         in Europe and Japan I believe, as well as in the U.S.

We have addressed that need previously by making ballots available for
download and furnishing a US Mail address for our more distant
community members.  We will make sure that system is implemented again
this year.  The ballot and mailing address will be published on the
elections web site.

>         Why not a scheme to vote by E-mail?

I think it would be great to have a web-based voting system.  The
reason we don't have such a system today is because nobody has stepped
up to plan, resource and execute it.

What are the requirements for such a system?  Mine would be:
anonymity/privacy; security; interoperability with paper ballot
systems (to ensure one vote per member).  How many people are needed
to oversee the voting process?

> Also:  I very much hope that when the votes are tallied -- regardless of
> whether my suggestion above is accepted or not -- that the winners
> are announced _together_ with the number of votes cast for each candidate.

We'll certainly discuss it at the next board meeting.

Pete

--
/pete nuwayser/
$LASTNAME gmail com