[Novalug] Historical Assembly, was: Wii iiiiii !!!!!!!

Wayne Dernoncourt wayned@panix.com
Thu Nov 23 12:56:11 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Kevin Cole wrote:

> James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
>
>> How many CPUs did you program? I was fortunate to use many,
>> and Intel was by far the worst.

> I liked the quirkiness of the DEC-10 myself.  It wasn't my
> first architecture, but remains a favorite.  As for the PDP-11,
> for the life of me, I'll never understand the fascination for
> octal, as it made separating a 16-bit number into two 8-bit
> numbers a pain in the ass.

But the octal (of the PDP and the hex of the Vax) translated
into machine op-codes a piece of cake.  I think 240 (octal) is
NOP, but since it has been ~20 years I'm probably wrong!

Take care      |   This clown speaks for himself, his job doesn't
Wayne D.       |   pay for this, etc. (directly anyway)