[Novalug] Historical Assembly, was: Wii iiiiii !!!!!!!

Kevin Cole kjcole@ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 23 10:46:13 EST 2006

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:

> How many CPUs did you program? I was fortunate to use many, and Intel
> was by far the worst.

I liked the quirkiness of the DEC-10 myself.  It wasn't my first
architecture, but remains a favorite.  As for the PDP-11, for the life
of me, I'll never understand the fascination for octal, as it made
separating a 16-bit number into two 8-bit numbers a pain in the ass.

> Consider TECO, Snobol, and sendmail config files.

make love
not war?

Ya just gotta love stuff like that and the Dynamic Debugging Tool --
DDT: it kills bugs.  36-bit words and 7-bit bytes: 5 bytes per word
and "a little bit left over".  Bring humor back (and don't hide it
all in the source code)! ;-)

--
 Kevin Cole                    |  Key ID: 0xE6F332C7
 Ubuntu Linux DC LoCo Team     |     WWW: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/KevinCole

 "Using vi is not a sin. It's a penance." -- St. IGNUcious, Church of Emacs