[Novalug] Running without a hard drive?

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Wed Nov 22 01:55:09 EST 2006

James Darlack wrote:

>Am I right in the assumption that if I boot from
>CentOS live CD, and dont have a hard drive, I can
>access internet, etc., and dont need the hard drive?

You mean a DISK? Hard drives is what Windoes people call them. Do I have
to trot out the DASD label? :)

But seriously, a CD *is* a disk. Or rather, it is treated like one. At
least at the higher levels. So is a flash drive. And so is ROM in
embedded systems, which is pretty much what a flash drive is.

But as you progress, you will notice that Linux can boot over the net,
called a PXE boot, and mount all of its filesystems via NFS!

I am continually amazed at how flexible Linux is.

JIM