[Novalug] Problem with XF86Config-4

Matt Bidwell bidwell@dead-city.org
Tue Nov 21 08:18:38 EST 2006

Sam Rosenfeld wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Matt Bidwell wrote:
>
>> Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
>>> I have tried to try all of Ted's suggestions but I haven't had any success
>>> in finding out how to fix my XF86Config-4 so that I can run X and my mouse
>>> program.
>>>
>>> I am going to include a copy of the current /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 and of
>>> /var/log/XFree86.0.log
>> <snip>
>> Excuse me for comming in late.  It looks like to me that you are
>> referring to you mouse two different ways.
>> Section "InputDevice"
>> 	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
>> &
>> Section "ServerLayout"
>> 	Identifier	"Default Layout"
>> 	Screen		"Default Screen"
>> 	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
>> 	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
>>
>> Under server layout, you need to change it to "Generic Mouse" as it
>> states in teh the InputDevice section.  That's what the warning is about.
>> Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
>> 	Undefined InputDevice "Configured Mouse" referenced by ServerLayout
>> "Default Layout".
>>

> Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency between the mouse parameters and
> the layout.  However, I still cannot use the mouse in the debian mode. I
> can, though. use it in Knoppix livecd.
>
> sam
Well, let us all step back for a moment.  If the problem only
started after a kernel upgrade, and not and X upgrade, most
likely it's not an X problem but a kernel problem.
First, reboot into the old 2.4. kernel and make sure everything
still works. Are you using a Debian distributed version of the
Linux kernel or are you using one you have compiled yourself?
You may have to compile one yourself to get it working.  Also
what kind of mouse are you using, USB, PS2 or maybe even AT?

Matt