[Novalug] Which linux to install??

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd JECottrell3@Comcast.NET
Thu Nov 16 01:24:28 EST 2006

Sorry. Slackware is disqualified for lack of a decent package system.
You might as well be using Solaris. A decent packager not only handles
binarys, but also building source as well.

And the old style BSD rc system leaves something to be desired, namely,
the newer System V style rc.

If you really want to be a gearhead, try learning the nuances of Debian
or grokking the Portage system of Gentoo.

I do admire Slackware for its simplicity in some areas, and it is indeed
pretty solid, but it is stuck in a time warp.

JIM

P.S. Take Slackware manage all the packages with RPM, replace the rc
system, and most of my complaints melt away.