[Novalug] Which linux to install??

gregory pryzby greg@pryzby.org
Wed Nov 15 15:31:34 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 12:03:12PM -0800, James Darlack wrote:
> Hi Lug Nuts.. Or is it Lug Vets?
>
> This is Jim, the Lug Newbie.  I installed several
> versions of Red Hat years ago.  Lately, I get the
> honor of putting developer hat back on, in conjuntion
> with the dubuous title of test engineer.  (I can hear
> the developers sneering... NO PROB.. Im used to it.)

welcome back.

> Im interested in downloading and installing Linux.  I
> am curerntly downloading the Ubuntu image for 86
> processors.  (Ok, I admit it, Im a non-Mac person.)

no worries. mac are x86 these days :<

> Im interested in renewing my aquaintance with
> Linux/UNIX, C development, and honing skills as an
> admin.
>
> I went to the Red Hat site, and it pushes purchasing
> support.  Is there any advantage of one Linux flavor
> over another?  The instalation is just to perk up my
> Linux/UNIX and developer skills.  Nothing fancy.

Linux is Linux is Linux. The difference is on the distribution which
is how easy to install and what packages are available.

Fedora Core
openSUSE
Ubuntu
(alphabetically the 'big 3')

http://distrowatch.org/
for MANY distros.

If you are getting back into it, go free/no cost. Then you can figure
out if you need/want support and purchase something.

--
greg pryzby                              greg at pryzby dot org
fingerprint: 8A1A DB90 869F 5DD1 D6E9 EEB6 C156 6B04 849F A86F