[Novalug] Which linux to install??

Clif Flynt clif@cflynt.com
Wed Nov 15 15:18:37 EST 2006

At this point I think:

  The biggest and fullest featured Linux is OpenSuSE.
  The smallest and leanest is Puppy.
  The most cutting edge is Debian untested.
  The newest and most active is Ubuntu.
  The best formal security support is going into RedHat/Fedora,
    with OpenSuse a very close second.  (RH has better Auditing
    support OpenSuse's App Armor gives better Access Control List
    support.)
  The niftiest live-boot CD-Rom is Knoppix and derivatives.

  So, that doesn't answer your question at all, but it was fun :)

  I use SuSE for most of my work, with Fedora my second choice, and
a couple Debian systems that I installed because I needed a feature that
they supported, and nobody else had yet.

  I'd look for the tools you think will serve you best, and see which
rev they were developed on.  I keep some RH 7.3 systems around just for
the tools that never got moved to the newer kernels/libraries.

  Clif

--
.... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..