[Novalug] Re: [Dclug] Learning automake and autoconf

Alan McConnell alan@patriot.net
Wed Nov 15 07:18:26 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 12:24:38AM -0500, Kevin Dwyer wrote:

> The autotools are an interesting exercise in hacking the shell.  People
> really should stop using them and start using more modern build suites
> like scons or cons or ant (ok, maybe not ant) or something.  At the very
> least, they replace make, who's time has come.
	So what is the replacement for make?  "Curious minds . . . "

> To answer your question: It doesn't get better.  I've seen it stated
> that only about 30 people in the world know how to write a configure
> script from scratch; the rest copy.  It's believable given the
> difficulty.
	Let's hear it for copying!  When I was in harness, and writing
	programs, I copied ALL THE TIME(especially from myself<g>).

I sometimes think that there are only 300 people in the world who know
how to write a decent web page;  plus about 3000 who don't know but
think they know.  And the rest copy.

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    "He lies.  He spies.  He wants us to ignore