[Novalug] Inbox email vanished

Michael Stone mstone@mathom.us
Tue Nov 14 12:36:22 EST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 12:12:19PM -0500, Peter Larsen wrote:
>Michael Stone wrote:
>>On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 01:27:21AM -0500, Peter Larsen wrote:
>>>I thought telecoms were obligated to keep 1-2 months of "transactions"
>>>for investigative purposes?
>>
>>A mailbox isn't a transaction log.
>
>No, but the incoming and outgoing messages are.

No, they aren't. At most, some of the headers would be. Whether even
*that* would be retained varies widely depending on where in the world
you are. You may be confusing transaction log requirements with specific
requirements to preserve email which apply to certain industries (e.g.,
financial).

Mike Stone