[Novalug] Xen

Dan Arico dan_arico@aricosystems.com
Wed Nov 8 11:12:31 EST 2006

On Wed November 8 2006 11:00 am, Nick Danger wrote:
> Dan Arico wrote:
> > I've run into an interesting problem. I have an old application that
> > runs just fine on Suse 8.0, but not on anything after that. Can I
> > use Xen to run a virtual machine for this application?
> >
> > The basic problem is the application calls the gcc compiler, but
> > there were changes made after Suse 8.0 that cause it to crash. Is
> > there another way around this?
> >
> > Dan Arico
>
> I have a similar problem, only with with a RedHat 7.0 app. Xen wasn't
> so helpful in this instance but we were able to use VMware and run a
> read only image of the machine and the software. If it acts weird, we
> just reboot the VM. Image is read only so it never gets messed up (or
> so our plan goes) Maybe this would work for you?
>
> (vender out of business, only solution was to replace $7 mil in
> hardware, or let this dumb thing run under a VMware image. Guess what
> is cheaper? :-)
>
> -Nick

That's about where I am. The people who produced this thing are out of
business and there's no source code available. It's a compiler so my
real problem is maintaining the code *I* wrote.

I think what I'm going to do is rewrite it all in python.

Dan Arico

One OS to bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them,
In the land of Redmond, where the Sales Reps lie.