[Novalug] No FLOSS supporter will use SuSe? was Re: [Ma-linux] hell freezes over, and Microsoft, Novell join in Linux Pact

Thomas R. Corbin corbin@samsixedd.com
Tue Nov 7 10:02:55 EST 2006

On Monday, 06 November 2006 07:54 pm, John A. Heidingsfelder Jr. escreveu:
> I use SuSE at my
> workplace, and I have no reason to change at of this time.  If Novell
> plays this right, they can come away clean and get some really decent
> tools that makes Linux a no-brainer for everyone.

	We use it at work as well.   I actually have a windows box, but it was bought
by my client and I only use it for vpn purposes.   In my career, I've never
had to use windows for anything else, so I'm very lucky.   In fact, until the
last couple of years I'd never used windows.

	I like suse a lot and have used it for years.   We have all of our clients
using suse as well.   I think this alliance will be seen in a very positive
light by our customers.   In fact, one guy at one of our clients sent us a
link to the announcement.   On a personal level, I have been having much more
mixed feelings about suse.   I don't like the increased emphasis on gnome and
the gnome-ification of yast.   On the other hand, while I'm a java guy, I am
quite impressed with mono.    But the bottom line is this - I don't want any
of my money going to MS if I can help it.   I don't know that this agreement
does that so I'll be watching.

	I'm also nervous about how this agreement might be used to attack other linux
vendors, "See - our patents must be good, Novell sure thinks so!".   And
while I understand the reasoning behind supporting the office xml format, I'm
not too thrilled with it.   I see that as weakening the ODF position.

	And I have to admit that (k)ubuntu is looking quite fascinating.   I love the
upstart thing they're doing.   I think their website is wonderful the way it
lays everything out, why and how they are doing things.

	Considering the history of what happens to companies that make agreements
like this with MS, I have to doubt the sanity of anyone who does something
like this.   On the other hand, Novell has been under a lot of pressure in
the last couple of years from the financial press to do something, anything.

	So overall, I am like the rest - I'll keep an eye on the situation and think
seriously about going the (k)ubuntu route.