[Novalug] Welcome Back (PLEASE READ)

Jay Hart jhart@kevla.org
Sat Nov 4 14:52:06 EST 2006

> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 10:16:03 -0500 (EST)
> "Jay Hart" <jhart@kevla.org> wrote:

<snip>

>> I've decided based on this one test to setup a NAS box on a small mini-itx box, or on my current
>> email server hardware. Unfortunately I need to purchase two mini-itx boxes so I can swap out my
>> Ultra 2 and email server for smaller form factor footprint boxes. At roughly $600 for each box,
>> have to save up for them.
>
> Outch, 600.  Pricewatch can be your friend.  Find some bare bones,
> no hard disk systems.  I mean, this is net storage right?  Diskless.  :)

No, I think you missed what I was saying. I wnat to downsize the physical sizes of my boxes, so I
want to go with an mini-itx sized box. These boxes, for what I want, average roughly $550 without
shipping or taxes included. I could go to PC-retro and pick a cheap PC, lets say I spend $125 for
something that would work. FreeNAS costs me $0, so total cost of a NAS solution would be $125.

I want the mini-itx boxes for two purposes. First one is to replace my Ultra 2, and the second one
would be to replace my web/email server with something a little faster. The mini-itx boxes speed
wise average between 1.2 and 1.5 GHz for what I want. Sounds slow?? Well my Ultra 2 is a 167 MHz
box, and my email server is 600Mhz. Two reasons I want to replace my Ultra 2 are that my Sun
monitor is dying, and I have to power it for 30-60 minutes to get good display output, plus the
box is just too damn big nowadays, so I want to go smaller.

>> I've also mentioned this to the IT guru at work, to see if they are interested in this app.
>
> I'd pick one up, but I can barely put use to the stuff already
> here.

Any old computer would run the OS and apps just fine. Don't need to buy amything new.

Jay