[Novalug] OT : Thermite anecdote

Beartooth karhunhammas@Lserv.com
Sun Dec 31 15:31:51 EST 2006

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Dan Arico wrote:

> On Fri December 29 2006 4:03 pm, Beartooth wrote:

>>  	I have it on good authority that a .45 ACP will not put a
>> hole clear through even an old low-gig drive, but that a
>> .30-06 will.
>
> Thermite.
>
> Dan Arico

 	Someone here may know a thing I've long wondered about.

 	The exploits of MIT students have been legendary since
who goosed the moose, of course; one that was already part of
Harvard folklore fifty-odd years ago went as follows. I hope
someone can tell me if it's authentic, or urban baloney.

 	It seems a group of guys at MIT once managed to get into
the MTA after it had closed for the night; found a train sitting
on a track in a station (rather than in some carbarn out past the
end of the line); and placed a suitably-sized thermite bomb
against both a wheel and the track.

 	According to the legend, it worked : welded the wheel to
the track, with consequent effects on the morning rush till poor
old MTA could get a welder in there ...

 	So did it happen? When? In what station?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Neo-Redneck, Double Retiree,
Not Quite Clueless Linux Power User : FC6, etc.