[novalug] Re: OT: is it possible to click on a microsoft word icon and end up with OpenOffice?

Sat Dec 30 22:46:31 EST 2006

On 12/29/06, Dave Aronson <tux2dave@davearonson.com> wrote:
> > There's an X-11 version of OpenOffice for the mac, but installing
> > this version of OpenOffice demands that you also install X11 on the
> > mac. The blogs tell me that this is a laborious process,
>
> Not really.  Software installation on the Mac is generally trivial: open
> the .dmg (Disk iMaGe) file that's the distribution package, and drag the
> application (actually a directory) to your Applications folder.  Done,
> except maybe for setting up some preferences.

I'm with Dave on this one.  Installing X11 on the Mac Mini was simply
putting in the dvd, clicking through a level or two and hitting
Continue.  The install took a couple minutes tops, but I was reading
my own email at the time, so it was painless.

I just did this a day or two ago.

kc

--
D. Keith Casey Jr.