[novalug] Re: OT: is it possible to click on a microsoft word icon and end up with OpenOffice?

Dave Aronson tux2dave@davearonson.com
Fri Dec 29 20:13:28 EST 2006

Nino Pereira wrote:

> There's an X-11 version of OpenOffice for the mac, but installing
> this version of OpenOffice demands that you also install X11 on the
> mac. The blogs tell me that this is a laborious process,

Not really.  Software installation on the Mac is generally trivial: open
the .dmg (Disk iMaGe) file that's the distribution package, and drag the
application (actually a directory) to your Applications folder.  Done,
except maybe for setting up some preferences.

What's laborious is X itself.  B-P

> And, the mac-native version (called Aqua if I understand this properly)

That's the Mac's latest UI interface (replacing Cocoa, not to be
confused with CoCo), not the version of OO.

> So, I'll wait for a few months, and hope to detox my spouse from word
> when the mac version runs smoothly.

Don't hold your breath.  It reportedly sucked when I checked it out
about two years ago.  If it still sucks, then rapid progres is not in
the proverbial cards.

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson
"Specialization is for insects." -Heinlein