[Novalug] Perl "one-liners" (was "Tutorials")

Nick Danger nick@hackermonkey.com
Fri Dec 22 09:16:37 EST 2006

James Ewing Cottrell 3rd wrote:
> I would caution against doing too much in the installation script. Do
> just enough to get up and running so that you can run your cfengine or
> other script. Remember that your post install script is only run
> once...during installation.

Right. What I do "custom" is:

o. edit grub to add serial console
o. edit inittab to add serial console
o. change the motd
o. add default users (the 3 administrators here & their ssh keys)
o. turn off about every service
o. add nagios and the plugins (including some custom ones written inhouse)
o. config ntpd for our setup
o. sshd changes
o. add the default options to the ethernet cards

All those are perfect things to put in the install. I started making
custom RPMs for ssh and ntp until I realized it was only the config I
was changing and its just as easy to edit the config after. Plus the
serial console stuff is a pain to remember every time, easier to add on
install.

If anyone really wants to see my kickstart.cfg I can post it.

-Nick