[Novalug] where have all my quote marks gone

Bonnie Dalzell bdalzell@qis.net
Thu Dec 21 23:59:13 EST 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Peter Larsen wrote:

PL >
PL >
PL >Bonnie Dalzell wrote:
PL >> ever since I updated my Ubuntu install to Edgy I have lost the ability to
PL >> type double and single quotes. It is not the keyboard because typing
PL >> quotes still works from the alternative OS that this system can boot into.
PL >
PL >You choose an "international" keyboard. Switch keyboard driver back to
PL >"US" only, and presto you get what you're used to. To the rest of us,
PL >who writes in non-english languages now and then, we have to deal with
PL >that behaviour, or get international keyboards where dead-keys and
PL >single characters are on different keys. But you eventually get used to
PL >the space hitting ;)
PL >

Thanks so much for that insight.

PL >> when I try to type a quote nothing happens until I hit the space key after
PL >> typing the quote.
PL >>
PL >> as an associated problem the gnome desktop has decided that the default
PL >> character encoding is UTF-8. I would prefer it to use iso 8859-1 as I
PL >> have a lot of files named with iso 8859-1 characters in the name and the
PL >> cd/dvd making program does not like these files but it does not react to
PL >> them until burning the CD so that I end up ruining CDs when it
PL >> encounters one of these files part way through a burn.
PL >
PL >It's not character set related directly. It's simply how your compute
PL >interprets the keying you're doing.

The messed up dvd comes from the dvd program reading the file names from
the source of the files on the harddrive. These are names created by a
different os using the old 8859-1 character set. I am working on getting
all the upper level characters out of the file names but it is
frustrating.

PL >
PL >Regards
PL >   Peter Larsen