[Novalug] Slow SAMBA connection

Sean Timm TimmSCHome@aol.com
Thu Dec 21 13:44:25 EST 2006

I recently set up Samba so I could easily transfer files to and from my
Windows box.  It would allow for easy cron based backups, etc.  However,
the transfer rate is extremely slow (~250 Kb/second) and usually ends in
an IO error before the entire file is transfered.  My first thought was
that there must be something wrong with my network setup or my Linux
network drivers.    Both reading from and writing to the windows share
are equally slow.  But transferring a large file from the Windows
machine to the Linux machine (and vice versa) using scp transfered at
the expected speed (8 Mb/sec over 10baseT--about 32 times faster than
via Samba).

The windows box is running XP Pro and the shares are mounted on the
Linux box, e.g. output from `mount`,
//DESKTOP/Backups_d on /net/windows/Backups_d type smbfs (rw)

The Linux machine is running Ubuntu 6.10 with smbmount version 3.0.22.

Any thoughts?  I haven't found much useful info via a web search.

Thanks,
Sean