[Novalug] Mini-case / Diskless case recommendations

david@zakar.com david@zakar.com
Tue Dec 19 09:54:38 EST 2006

> On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 00:42 -0500, Peter Larsen wrote:
>> (http://www.caseoutlet.com/shopexd.asp?id=481) which seems to do the
>> same, but not using CompactFlash. Except for being able to take it out
>> and just put it in your card-reader somewhere else, to initialize it
>> this looks pretty cool. Basically ram on a stick into your IDE port but
>> still persistent storage? If anyone has used these - do they suffer from
>> the same "write limit" as CompactFlash cards do?

I hate taking this conversation in a totally different direction, but
my interest has been piqued, and I can lurk no longer: does anyone
know of a good, easily-available, and preferably cheap solution that
would allow me to use a CF card as a hard drive, mounted in a 3.5"
internal bay? I'm going to be converting my Shuttle into a file
server, and I'd also prefer to not use a hard drive internally -
they're unreliable and they generate unwanted heat.

-DMZ