[Novalug] Mini-case / Diskless case recommendations

Peter Larsen plarsen@famlarsen.homelinux.com
Sun Dec 17 23:58:15 EST 2006

Jay Hart wrote:
> Can you describe your setup from a hardware standpoint, of this box?

Is that a question meant for me?  Right now, it's conceptional only. No
moving parts; Linux iptables flexibility with "off the shelf"
simplicity. A basic network appliance box, that will allow setup using
http; using snort to have the firewall actively detect and act on
"threats", while syslogging/snmp trapping the events to an internal server.

I find that most off the shelf firewalls are pretty lame, in particular
the low end ones. And I don't feel like paying $10k for a Pix or similar
firewall with similar features.

So from a hardware standpoint it's a non-fan coled CPU, 2 or more Nics
(looking into if Giga would make a difference on an external firewall).
I'm thinking 4 or more ports would allow me to use the same box on
multiple segments; implementation of vlans or similar could allow me
make a better/secure home network.

128MB of ram or even less; Flash memory for persistent storage. I most
likely would start with simple PXE, but persistent storage locally would
make it more efficient.

Size and power consumption needs to be a small as possible. So the less
on board, the better. No video required, just serial console port. No
audio, usb, etc. etc.  Although I think a optional external USB port
will come in handy for updates and issue handling.

> Pictures would be great.

Not even a drawing is made yet ;)

> What are you running on it/them?

Diskless systems does provide some challanges that may be a subject for
a presentation? Not that I'm ready to do one yet .. I won't be able to
get around to putting this together until after Christmas.

Regards
   Peter Larsen