[Novalug] Mini-case / Diskless case recommendations

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Sun Dec 17 18:07:23 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 12:48:49PM -0500, Jay Hart wrote:
> Can you port filter?  I assume you can.

anything you can do with iptables.  my unit has three interfaces.
one for the wireless, one for the lan (your side) and one for the
provider (wan).

it comes with a werb server interface, but i turned it off in
favor of just a running a local script.

i do port forwarding, filtering, invalid packet checking, etc.

i can mount a remote disk using sshfs and do backups and other fine
things.  it boots in seconds.  in addition, you can do some whacky
things which i haven't really tried including authentication with
ldap.

it really is a wonder.  i had a mini-tower running linux doing
all of this before.  it was probably better for some definition
of better, but this has the appliance flavor which is pretty
neat.  no noise, just blinking lights and a wap to boot.

--
Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com