[Novalug] Mini-case / Diskless case recommendations

Mark Smith mark@winksmith.com
Sun Dec 17 11:27:03 EST 2006

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 11:18:15AM -0500, Jay Hart wrote:
> > the WRT54G can be re-flashed with a version of linux that permits
> > you login, change things, etc.  it's tiny, utilitarian, diskless,
> > fanless, and cheap.  you don't get to build it yourself, but it will
> > probably give you everything you need.  just something to consider.
>
> Yes, but what I really want to know is this.
>
> If the security of a OpenBSD box is a 10, what would you determine is the
> security of a WRT54G with reflashed version of lInux running on it?
>
> Now, I haven't defined what a rating of 10 really means, so that this with a
> grain of salt.

i can't say what a 10 is either, but they haven't forgotten security.
openbsd is no more or no less secure as the admin setting it up and
the same is true here.  for instance, by default you're not allowed
to use telnet into the box by default if that helps you (need ssh).

and most of all, you're the admin, not someone else.  you can make it
as secure or not as you wish.

think of it as a tiny linux box with no fan and no disk drive because
that's what it is.  you can ssh into it, setup additional firewall
rules, run a webserver on it, etc., just like any other linux system
you setup.

--
Mark Smith
mark@winksmith.com