[Novalug] Adaptec 1420 & Linux

Clif Flynt clif@cflynt.com
Sun Dec 10 20:47:37 EST 2006

Hi,
  Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

  My problem was that I'd used the disks in previous RAID tests
last spring, and had enough residue on the disks that things were
confused.

  A set of "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX" to wipe the opening section
of the disk fixed that problem, and then I could create the RAID
disk-set as I'd expect with:

/sbin/mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=raid5 \
    --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

Now I'm playing with putting data on the disks, doing nasty
things like removing disks and dd to see if I really understand
how to do the recovery part of this exercise.

Clif
--
.... Clif Flynt ... http://www.cflynt.com ... clif@cflynt.com ...
.. Tcl/Tk: A Developer's Guide (2nd edition) - Morgan Kauffman ..