[Novalug] January Meeting Topic(Oracle Poll)

Alan McConnell alan@patriot.net
Wed Dec 6 10:49:34 EST 2006

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 09:54:57AM -0500, Kevin Kitts wrote:
> I'm an Oracle DBA - I actually made a presentation at the LUG years ago
> about running Oracle on Linux - in the Oracle 8.0 days IIRC.
	I set up and ran a small DBMS at Goddard about 12 years ago; I
	used the sort-of freeware MSQL written by an Australian,
	David Hughes (? ? aka "Bambi" for some reason).

	So I have a desultory interest in the subject and would like to
	know why someone would prefer Oracle over, say, PostgreSQL,
	which is modelled on Ingres, written by Michael Stonebraker,
	known I hope to all people who've had anything to do with DBMSes
		(www.csail.mit.edu/biographies/ PI/bioprint.php?PeopleID=883)

I am sure that no two DBMSes are alike, any more than any two C compilers
are alike.  But does anyone know what the differences amount to?  Is
Larry Ellison, and his company, any smarter than Michael Stonebraker, and
his associates?

This is not a silly question, I don't believe.  After all, we all believe
that Linus Torvalds and his crew are smarter than Bill Gates and his
company.    (Don't we?)

Best wishes,

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://patriot.net/users/alan
    There are many good Impeachment sites; one of the best is: