[Novalug] Diagnostics Needed

Matt Bidwell bidwell@dead-city.org
Tue Dec 5 21:52:46 EST 2006

Roger W. Broseus wrote:
> I have an abandoned HP Pavillion ze5300 . . . abandoned by my daughter
> after I resurrected it from the dead only to have it crap-out again. (I
> had recovered files using Knoppix and re-installed Win for her - DON'T ASK
> why.) HP used desktop components in an effort to get perfomance and got
> heat: the beast has TWO fans.
>
> In any event, I suspect the HD and am interested in Linux-based
> diagnostics - I managed to re-partition and install a Linux distro.  I'm
> not sure what the problem is: I suspect the HD as there were corrupt files
> on it but that could be due to shutdowns. Maybe memory? Heat just causes
> it to crap-out (e.g., the processor).
>
> If I can determine that the PC is likely to run OK w/ Linux, then I'll
> invest some more effort.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> /roger

Roger,
There is a cd boot disk that is called the Ultimate Boot Disk.(UBCD)
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
What it has on it is a lot of disk tools.  If you can figure out
the manufacturer of the disk, you can run their native tool to
tell you what's wrong with it, and possibly fix it.
It's also got memtest, some MB tools and some file system tools.

Matt